The other night I was channel-surfing and stumbled into On-Demand Land, and then found Adult Swim. On that I discovered "Tim and Eric's Awesome Show Great Job," a series of 12-minute TV shows that cut up and cook together bits and pieces of:
- The Electric Company
- Gilbert and George
- Sub-par Power Point presentations
- The scatological setpieces in Gravity's Rainbow
- Old VHS training videos for fastfood managers
- Creepy and embarrassing cable-access music and religious programs
- William S. Burroughs' riffs
- 1982 Saturday Morning cartoons
- And so on
Watched their new movie Tim and Eric's Billion Dollar Movie the other night, after catching the TV show fever. It's brand new, debuting at the Sundance Film Festival in January. Most of the audience there at Sundance left the theater before it was over. But don't you dare. A masterpiece of poetic horror/comedy/insanity. John Waters has to be jealous. The best Will Ferrell movie ever. And John C. Reily somehow creates a pathetic and poignant character from the sewer/stew everyone else swims in.
God Bless Tom and Eric. And therefore America.